Total Pageviews

Saturday 21 July 2012

Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, get up early in the morning if you want to take him on !


I first heard of Malcolm Kendrick from Fergus Craig. Both believe diabetes should be tackled with lifestyle changes and minimal or in the case of type two diabetes, nil meds when possible. Both believe a lowcarb diet is the way forward, and saturated fats are not the cause of heart disease and stroke. I remember lowcarb antis ridiculing Malcolm as a quack. He had broken a cardinal rule, he had written a book. Cry’s of he’s only in it for the money was a regular chant from the carb addicted and resident dietition. Recently a healthcare professional took Malcolm on.


Ishaan Saxena 




“As a doctor, I am appalled by your practice. If you are so convinced about the lack of an association between cholesterol and heart disease, why have you never published such work in peer reviewed journals? The fact is you have manipulated the facts to reach the conclusion you wish in order to reach an incorrect, controversial opinion. Your only motive is quite clearly making money from your book. I hope that the GMC pick up on your practice and take you down for miseducating the public. As an educated doctor, I assume that you are fully aware of the nonsense of your argument, and hence I fail to understand how you can practice as a doctor knowing full well that you may be shortening the life expectancy of thousands of people.”


Malcolm Kendrick


“Thank you for your comment. It may interest you to know that I was invited to write a paper on this topic for the BMJ – which I did, outlining why women should not take statins (you can look it up on the internet). I am also a peer-reviewer for the BMJ. I also helped set up the original website for NICE, and spent three years developing the on-line educational website for the European Society of Cardiology. I have also been invited to give lectures on this topic to the BMA, the Medical Research Trials Unit, the Society of Chemical Industry and more recently the International Society of Cardiology. I do not say this for self-aggrandizement, mainly to point out that my views, whilst controversial, are taken seriously by mainstream researchers and doctors around the world. Also – although I use humour, do not doubt that I am a serious man, with an extremely serious agenda.
I would also be more than happy if the GMC (General Medical Council) picked up on my practice, for then I would have the opportunity to explain why my views are, indeed, evidence based. However, it is unlikely to happen, I speak regularly to many doctors who are in positions of authority within the GMC, as I meet them through my work with the BMA for the General Practitioners Committee which, as you may know, is the body that negotiates with the Government on the GP contract. In short, please do not threaten me with the GMC – they still allow people to hold different views. Equally, please refrain from accusing me of ‘shortening the life expectancy of thousands of people.’ If you disagree with what I say, then I am happy to engage in a scientific debate with you. Accusing people of killing patients is an old and wearisome game, designed to shut people up.”


I once contacted Dr. Kendrick and he replied swiftly. His last words to me were “ All I want is for people to lead a happier and healthier life” I believe him !


Eddie


http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2012/04/23/prevention-is-better-than-cure-maybe/

3 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Quote from Bonkers.

"Dr Kendrick, high fat, lipids etc quack quack quack here we go again"

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21735&p=195943&hilit=kendrick#p195943

And one from Kenny.

"Mr Kendrick.......quack, quack......anybody seen the duck ?"
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=16168&p=149741&hilit=kendrick#p149741

I think a circus is missing two clowns!

Graham

Lowcarb team member said...

Noblehead and kenny were both fond of quoting the BHF, should be a good place for diabetics then, err not really.

"If you don't look after yourself, diabetes can make you feel very ill. You should make sure that you have a healthy diet that is not full of sugary food and drinks, that you are a healthy weight and that you take plenty of exercise."

http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/diabetes/type-2-diabetes-in-bsl.aspx

"plenty of starchy foods such as bread, rice, potatoes and pasta. Choose wholegrain varieties wherever possible"

http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/prevention/healthy-eating.aspx

Graham

Lowcarb team member said...

Let's cut Bonkers some slack. He may just have seen the light.

Eddie