Total Pageviews

Tuesday 17 September 2013

Sugar is 'addictive and the most dangerous drug of the times'

Soft drinks should carry tobacco-style warnings that sugar is highly addictive and dangerous, a senior Dutch health official has warned. 
 
Paul van der Velpen, the head of Amsterdam's health service, the Dutch capital city where the sale of cannabis is legalised, wants to see sugar tightly regulated. "Just like alcohol and tobacco, sugar is actually a drug. There is an important role for government. The use of sugar should be discouraged. And users should be made aware of the dangers,"
 
Mr Van der Velpen cites research claiming that sugar, unlike fat or other foods, interferes with the body's appetite creating an insatiable desire to carry on eating, an effect he accuses the food industry of using to increase consumption of their products.
"Sugar upsets that mechanism. Whoever uses sugar wants more and more, even when they are no longer hungry. Give someone eggs and he'll stop eating at any given time. Give him cookies and he eats on even though his stomach is painful," he argued.

Sugar is actually a form of addiction. It's just as hard to get rid of the urge for sweet foods as of smoking. Thereby diets only work temporarily. Addiction therapy is better." The senior health official wants to see sugar taxes and legal limits set on the amount that can added to processed food. He also wants cigarette-style warnings on sweets and soft drinks telling consumers that "sugar is addictive and bad for the health".

More on this story here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Soft drinks should carry tobacco-style warnings that sugar is highly addictive and dangerous,"

This sounds a very good idea but will it happen - I don't think so.

Anne

Anonymous said...

Diet Doctor has also featured this I think. But sugar can be addictive and people can struggle through their lives NOT to eat it. Whether a warning will work and whether the drink companies will allow it (they will have money to spend against any legislation I'm sure)I can not see happening. Didn't the UK government also talk about taxing sugary drinks recently?

Kate

Unknown said...

Sugar and refined carbs are terribly addictive. Many people have told me "you don't understand," about their food addictions. I ask them to not eat any sugar or carbs simply at breakfast time to see what lunchtime feels like--they will NOT do that. They refuse to even try that.

Marion @ AffectionforFitness

Unknown said...

That's the sad part, Marion, especially when you hear it from diabetics who refuse to cut carbs because they 'can't bear it' or whatever excuse they come up with. I just don't get how having a slice of bread or a piece of cake can be more important to them than keeping their eyesight or their feet - I just don't get it and I doubt if I ever will - but you hear it all the time on diabetes forums. Beggars all understanding IMO.

Galina L. said...

I have never be addicted to a sugar myself, cooked all my food all my life, however I was always hungry and obsessed with a food in general until I removed most of my carbs from my diet. So, I have no reason to particularly blame cakes, ice-cream, cookies, Coke for my chubbiness. I wish a carbohydrate sensitivity should be emphasized, not only sugar and a refine food dangers.
Sugar should be absolutely viewed as a harmful substance, but it is only a first step.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Indy,

Many people don't believe that complications can affect them.They think they are a slight risk affecting only the unfortunate few and that only after many years of high bg levels. They think they have plenty of time. It is at least extremely unlikely to happen to them.Those who try to stifle discussion and warnings about complications must have the same mindset, they won't admit the possibility they might be affected.

Kath

Lowcarb team member said...

When I was first diagnosed I started to scrutinise labels very carefully for sugar content, at that time I knew nothing about the importance of carbs.

I assumed that things like fromage frais and yoghurts intended for children were likely to contain less sugar.I was totally wrong and I was appalled at the amount of sugar they contained.

As this sort of thing is likely to be fed to very young children the manufacturers are ensuring that we are all addicted from the start. They may not be able to do this with baby foods but as soon as possible thereafter they do their best.

Kath