Total Pageviews

Friday 25 October 2013

Higher cholesterol levels associated with improved outcomes in stroke !

I recently came across a new study that assessed the relationship between cholesterol levels and stroke. In it, researchers assessed the relationship between cholesterol levels in those who had suffered an ischaemic stroke and their survival over time. Individuals were classified as either having ‘high’ cholesterol (> 4.6 mmol/L/178 mg/dl) or ‘low’ cholesterol (levels lower than this), and survival was assessed 3 months, 1 year and 5 years later [4].
For those with low cholesterol, overall survival at these respective time points were 92, 87, 57 per cent. Survival for those with high cholesterol was significantly better, though: 100, 98, 84 per cent respectively. Overall, lower levels of cholesterol were associated with an increase in risk of death of about 90 per cent.
From Dr.Briffa's blog full article here.

Eddie

2 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

The most worrying thing about the statin debate is that so little is known about the role of cholesterol. If it isn't even known for sure whether lowering it is a good or bad thing or whether the 'bad' ldl actually has 'good qualities' then there should certainly be a moratorium on prescribing them to a healthy population for the present.

If I were in imminent danger of some sort of cardiac episode however I would not hesitate to take them as I might be one of the lucky few to be helped by them. I have been told they could help with my eye condition but I don't think the evidence really supports that theory so far.

I keep meaning to look into the evidence for metformin use as cardiovascular protection. I am beginning to question my long term use of 2g per day for this purpose, as metformin does have side effects.

Its essential to keep questioning!

Kath

Lowcarb team member said...

Dr Briffa - I've heard a friend call him one of the good guys.

Always interesting to read his articles and how he sees things.

All the best Jan