Total Pageviews

Thursday 8 May 2014

When is a Wine Good or Bad ?


In my more youthful years I can remember going to a wine tasting evening held at one of my son’s school. It was an evening arranged by a very energetic Parent/Teacher Association Group which was, and still is, a great organisation that ‘works’, I believe, in every school in the UK to help raise additional funds for your child’s school. Those who are ‘on the committee’ do so for the love of their child’s school, it is unpaid work. I strongly believe Schools should be a close working unit between teachers, their pupils and parents. Although I know there are always those parents who do offer support a little more than others may…….but that in my experience is life.

However, I digress back to the wine.

One thing I do remember about this evening is the ‘speaker’ telling us that there is a lot of wine snobbery ….but……in the main what we needed to remember was if we liked the taste of the wine then it was a good wine - if we didn’t like the taste then it was bad. Good advice ?
Now if you’ve just bought a bottle of very very expensive wine I hope you enjoy every last mouthful. However, if like me you have bought a fairly reasonable, some may even say in-expensive, bottle I too hope you enjoy every mouthful.

Whether you enjoy one glass or more please be ‘drink aware‘ as the advert says. But please have a read of this article here …which just goes to show you do not have to spend a fortune to enjoy a very reasonable glass of wine, champagne or indeed sherry. My dear dad will be pleased to hear about the later as he does enjoy a glass of sherry once, or twice a week.

If you already have, or will be, reading the article I’ve linked to you will see that the Judges at the International Wine Challenge Awards thought Aldi’s Sherry and Asda’s sauvignon blanc were worth gold medals.

Marks and Spencer topped the medal chart, but all the supermarkets did well, and if you are off to a dinner party soon you may wish to take one of the award winning wines.

I’ll leave you with the words of the International Wine Challenge Committee co-chairman’s words Charles Metcalfe as he said: "The calibre of wines from the supermarket own-brand ranges has been phenomenal this year, and it is great to see them picking up top prizes across all styles.

"From delicious champagnes to tremendous sherries, shoppers can find some lovely wines in the aisles. Each year the quality of the supermarket own-brand wines gets better and better."

Cheers and Good Health.

All the best Jan

5 comments:

Lynda said...

Cheers :) I've made an art out of finding "economical" wines that taste great. Nice to see a New Zealand wine in that list too. We are making some amazing wine over here - much of it very reasonably priced.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Lynda, many thanks for your comment. There are some great tasting NZ wines. One of our favourites is Oyster Bay but it is a little more expensive. We have been known to treat ourselves when it's on special offer.

All the best Jan

Anonymous said...

I am the only one in our immediate family who doesn't drink wine. I always get a bad head so drink water, tea, or coffee.

I did go to my grandsons School fund raising Christmas Fair and won a bottle of wine in the raffle, his mum and dad were very appreciative.

Jean

Anonymous said...

I won some tea towels recently in a local school raffle, wish it had been a bottle of wine, or whisky. Oh well never mind.

Jimmy

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Jean, I'm sure your grandsons parents were most appreciative, and thoroughly enjoyed their unexpected bottle of wine.

Hi Jimmy, tea towels are very handy ... but I have to agree,not quite the same as a bottle of wine, or whisky.

Thanks for your comments.

All the best Jan