Total Pageviews

Monday 4 September 2017

Thought for the day.


Pretty much the same story in the UK. Very occasionally I pick up something in a shop other than food, and say to Jan, jeez look at this, it wasn't made in China. Our last three purchases other than clothes or food have been a washing machine, a microwave and a kettle. You guessed it all made in China. OK, we could have bought German, at three times the price, but experience tells us the German stuff doesn't last three times as long. The Germans make some very nice cars Mercedes, Audi and BMW but again nowhere near as good as most people believe.  Trust me, I know these things. I reckon on average you pay around £5K for the badge, in some cases much more. But hey, image is everything in a world of photo-shopped selfies, tattoos and everyone wants to be a celeb. 

Have a great week folks.

Eddie

17 comments:

Mac n' Janet said...

Couldn't agree more. But my refrigerator that we bought a couple of years ago was actually made here in the States, shock!

only slightly confused said...

Apparently even Trumps famous hats were not made in the USA.

Jean said...

Portmeirion, near us in Stoke on Trent, moved a lot of their manufacture of Spode crockery to China but it has rebounded on them. Who wants to buy Spode made in China? They are moving it all back now.J

Lois said...

So true. I've stopped looking anymore at where things are made because I just assume it was China.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, does not seem like much is made in the USA. Even the president's daughter's clothes line is made in China. So much for putting Americans to work. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Catarina said...

We are celebrating Labour Day here in Canada as well.
: )

Mary Kirkland said...

Yep, that's very true.

Carol Blackburn said...

I hear ya! It uses a lot of gas driving around to stores to find something made in the U.S.A. these days so sometimes you just have to buy what is available. Doesn't seem right, does it? Either that or do without. I bet a lot of us could do without more things than we imagine though. I know I probably could and I don't buy much that I don't absolutely need (in my own mind of course).

Terry said...

I never check where a product was made. Maybe I should.

Elephant's Child said...

Sigh. True here too.

This N That said...

Not me!!! I try to stay away from food/dog food made in China!! Happy Labor Day..

Tom said...

...everyone wants a low price.

River said...

As well as China, our shops are full of stuff made in Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, India and Pakistan. It's very hard to find stuff made in Australia.
I do read labels on foods though and stick with Australian made.

NatureFootstep said...

todays smile :)

George Pereira said...

reminds me of a comment someone wrote long ago. he had a car rental service which included luxury cars.he was advising people against buying an expensive car. he says 'if a car costs ten times more, it should be ten times better which is never the case.'

Adam said...

We have a BMW plant nearby me which provides a lot of good paying jobs here. So while it's "german" these models are American made.

Magic Love Crow said...

So true! I still check where things are made!