Total Pageviews

Saturday 20 January 2018

Saturday Night Supper ...


This is a nice Saturday Night Supper Dish ... and as it's Saturday perhaps you may give it a try tonight !

Red peppers are definitely our favourite, and when put aside a yellow one, what a great colourful and nutritious plate of food you've got. What do you think?

Ingredients:
Serves Four
1 celery stick, cut into 5mm (1/4in) dice
1 small onion, cut into 1cm (1/2in) dice
250g/8oz of swede (rutabaga) peeled and cut into 1cm (1/2in) dice
2 tsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 red peppers
2 yellow peppers
250g lean steak mince
1 fat garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp. tomato puree
1 tsp dried herbs
1 heaped tsp smoked paprika (optional)
125ml (4fl oz.) red wine or beef stock

Method:
Put the carrot, celery, onion and swede into a large saucepan and pour over 2 tbsp. olive oil. Cover with a disc of non-stick baking paper and a lid, then cook over a low heat for 6-8 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, prepare the peppers. Make sure the peppers can stand upright by slicing slivers from the bottom. Slice the top off each pepper, about 1.5cm (3/4in) from the top, keeping the stalk intact. Use a sharp knife to carefully cut away and discard the seeds and any excess white pith inside the peppers. Reserve the lids and set the peppers aside.

Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Uncover and remove the baking paper from the pan. Add the beef mince and turn up the heat to medium/high. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the mince is browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute before adding the tomato purée, herbs and paprika (if using). Stir well and cook for a further minute. Add the red wine or stock, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.

Pour some water into a baking tray and stand the peppers upright on the tray. Spoon the beef mixture into the peppers and put the lids on top. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and bake for 25-30 minutes until the peppers are tender. Serve.

Adapted from an original recipe idea here

We bring a variety of recipe ideas to this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

Enjoy your weekend ...


All the best Jan

17 comments:

Tom said...

...a favorite of mine.

Practical Parsimony said...

I have made the original recipe, more or less, but with brown rice. I suppose I could sub any vegetable for the rutabaga.

Carol Blackburn said...

Looks sooooo good! My menu for tomorrow night is sausage stuffed green peppers. Hubby is so nicely eating all the Keto dishes I cook without any complaints. He's a treasure. And I don't say anything when he sits down to watch TV with a huge bowl of popcorn. LOL Even part-time Keto he is losing weight right along with me.
Have a wonderful day.

JFM said...

I love stuffed peppers and these look scrumptious!!!
Have a great weekend Jan 💮

Out on the prairie said...

sometimes I use Italian sausage

Valerie-Jael said...

Oh yummy! Hugs, Valerie

Adam said...

a nice idea

Martha said...

I love stuffed peppers! I ate these growing up and now I make them myself. Very delicious!

William Kendall said...

It's been awhile since I last had stuffed peppers.

Lorrie said...

Stuffed peppers are delicious! Thanks for reminding me.

Elephant's Child said...

I know it is odd, but I don't like (and don't eat if I can get away with it) cooked capsicum. Raw they are delicious. Cooked? Not a fan. And the same goes for carrot.

Sandy said...

Sounds good, and it makes an attractive plate.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

These look yummy. I make mine using rice rather than meat. Don't you just love the colorful ones? I sure do. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Jan.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Sounds yummy Jan. I love red peppers but haven't thought about eating them this way.. I will now ☺

Amy Purdy said...

Stuffed peppers are a favorite meal of mine. I will have to try this recipe, as it is a little different from mine. It looks just as good.

Snowbird said...

I just love peppers, they seem to go with everything.xxx

Magic Love Crow said...

Double yummy! Thanks Jan! Big Hugs!